Sunday, May 22, 2011

The sense of smell.


Not sure why but my mind was wondering a little here at work and I got to thinking which of my five sense's would I miss the most?

I know I would miss sight because I would no longer get to see my wife or daughters lovely face's. I would no longer get to see pure beauty in the form of  a picture or painting, movie or one of God's sunset's or sunrise's. I would miss not having sight but I don't think I would miss it most.

I would miss hearing. I would miss the conversations I have with my daughters when they tell me about their day. I would miss hearing my wife tell me about here joy's and trials that are daily life. I would miss hearing the roar of the crowd at a Nebraska home football game. I would miss the sounds of birds as daylight breaks and they start to sing. I would miss the sound of good music or the cinema. Again I don't think I would miss this most though.

I would miss feeling. The touch of a loved one, the feel of a bear hug embrace from a family member or close friend. The simple act of petting my dog or daughters cat. The comfort of new or freshly washed flannel sheets on a cool autumn day. These two would be missed but not most.

Taste I would miss also but not the most. A great steak grilled to perfection. My wife's homemade apple pie for my birthday. My step mom's macaroni salad. The interesting deserts my oldest comes up with (the latest was peanut butter, chocolate and Nerds candy made into a Reese's type cup). A stadium dog at a football or baseball game. A fresh pizza pie from our local establishment. All these would be missed.

The sense I would miss most though I believe would be smell. The smell of a new born child. The familiar sent of my family. The sent of rain in the spring time, freshly cut alfalfa in the summer, leaves in autumn that are starting to just slightly decompose, the first time the furnace kicks on in the fall. The smell of someone grilling in the evening, the flowers my daughters pick to give to their mother. I really think I would miss smell the most. Scent can bring back memories so vivid that you can almost taste, feel, see or hear the event again in your head. When a scent triggers one of these moments it is as if the moment never ended.

I realize this is not going to be the same for everyone and I never thought it would. For me the loss of scent would be hardest. Don't get me wrong I am truly blessed to have all my sense's, exception of course is common, and would miss all the others but for me not being able to smell would be terrible.

4 comments:

. said...

i totally hear you there... smells can take me back to my chioldhood, or the day maybe was born and other wonderful memories in between

Mark Richards said...

Interesting take on things Don. I think if I was forced to give up one of the senses you listed, I would give up taste. I would miss those things you mentioned, but as someone who did smoke for awhile, I really did go through a period when my taste buds were compromised before I was smart enough to quit. I fully agree with you about the sense of smell. It is very underrated.

TheDigitalDoctr said...

Very insightful musings, Don. And I totally understand your choice. I think sight would be the sense most missed for me. To never see the face again of the angel that God sent to be my wife would be unbearable.

The bitter LEMON said...

Very interesting. I said recently on a post that I can smell days. I was being facetious, but there is a smell that always makes me think it's Thursday. Because I lived near a cake factory for a while and on a Thursday, they must have always carried out the same process. There's also the smell of spring, the smell of summer and the smell of earth after rain, the smell of babies like you say and the smell of horses...

But I don't think it's the sense I would miss most. I'd have to give some more thought to that. Sight probably.